Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Homemade Cheese Press




Thanks to my wonderful husband, Lex, I have this fantastic cheese press that really works just fine. I have used it quite a bit, and he wants to make one of those fancy kinds with a lever, but, that is totally up to him.

This is the way my finished cheese press looks, however, I sit it on the floor. Each gallon of water weighs about 8.35 pounds, so i fill them according to the kind of cheese I am making.












This is a 5 pound coffee can.













The coffee can has holes punched in it (from the inside to the outside, which isn't easy)








This is called the "follower". It sits on top of the cheesecloth covered cheese in the coffee can. The can has holes in the bottom so that excess liquid can drip out into a pan under the cheese press.









The "follower" is exactly the right size!!













This is what the top looks like. I am pointing at the screw that holds the "follower" in place.











Here is what the top of the press looks like upside down. The follower is attached to the top.










This is the base of the press where the coffee can, which is now a mold for the cheese, sits










1 comment:

  1. Hey ruth add some copper wire thru your cheese and make me some blue vein will you luv gummie

    ReplyDelete